Custom Search

26.7.08

Eat, Pray, Love

I took the plunge so many women before me have taken into the marvelous "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Often I resist the thing that everyone is talking about, call me a contrarian but I'm just not a big joiner. Still when the crowds are right, they are right. "Eat, Pray, Love" is a book to be savored. It is the story of Gilbert's journey, after the difficult dissolution of her marriage, through the pleasures of Italy, the spiritual devotion of India and finally seeking balance in Bali. Gilbert's language is sensual yet approachable. She's funny and touching and there are times I feel like she's put words to the emotions I find myself running through in the chaos that life can be as a woman with so many choices and so many different messages about what we are supposed to want. I'm still in Italy but I have no doubt the rest of Gilbert's journey will be just as vicariously soul-satisfying for me.

JC