Custom Search

26.7.08

Olympus Digital Voice Recorder VN-4100

I've recently started a little bit of a freelance writing career for myself and what a lifesaver this little baby has been for me. Most of my work has involved interviewing people over the phone. And this recorder, with an assist from a Radio Shack recording controller, can hook right up to my phone. I'm not much of a note taker - I sort of jot down salient and sometimes not so salient words when I'm on the phone to remind myself of some point in the conversation. But generally I get so caught up in the discussion with whomever I'm interviewing I forget about notes, then I panic that I won't remember what the person has said and definitely won't have direct quotes. Then I remember my trusty little Olympus recorder and I breathe a sigh of relief. I can imagine a myriad of uses for the kids - if I were to let them get their hands on it - everything from SpyKids recreations to evidence of a sibling's transgression. And I could see it being useful if say you were in dispute with someone - like our downstairs neighbor at the old apartment who used to call and harass us with the most awful, judgmental and a little bit frightening comments. Sounds a little Big Brother but if I'd had this recorder, there might have been an outcome to the whole three year drama that was far less satisfying to her than us moving out.

JC